As we wrap up the 2017-18 school year, our group has taken some time to reflect on all of the things that we’ve been able to accomplish this year. There are definitely too many to list, but some of the students’ favourite activities were . . .
- Learning to play “doubles” during our UNO games. It’s all fun & games until someone must pick up fourteen cards! Well, . . . even then, there are lots of laughs & fun to be had.
- Finding out more about the most difficult mystery animal ever; . . . the “OKAPI”. We now know all about this member of the giraffe family, with its long neck, blue tongue, and zebra stripped legs.
- Large group games took on a whole new dimension when disguised voices were added to “trick” our blindfolded classmates (especially during “Here Comes Peter Cottontail” or “Grandma’s Underpants”, with Miss Hailey).
- And, teasing Miss Kelly, at Halloween time, with our rubber snakes & fake spiders (she’s VERY afraid of them!).
We spent a great deal of time talking about co-operation & teamwork, and practiced all that we learned, EACH & EVERY day . . .
- We created a Grade 1 & 2 soccer club, where everyone was invited to participate and teams were made up of all different skill levels. It was amazing to see our more seasoned players teaching the newcomers everything that they knew!
- Our board game cupboard was frequently used, and children of all ages came together to learn & play their favourite games.
- Our classroom was always full of creative structures, made by friends who worked as a team, to create with the Legos, bristle blocks, magnetic tiles, and stack-it pieces.
But perhaps the most important thing that we have learned, was how to treat our fellow friends, family, teachers, & classmates.
- We linked all our ideas (on how to display kindness) together, to create a “Kindness Chain” for our bulletin board.
- Our students also reflected on “how to be bucket-fillers”, by saying and doing nice things for the people in their lives.
And hopefully, as our crew moves on, we will all remember to follow our classroom motto . . .
BE KIND. BE RESPECTFUL. AND ALWAYS HAVE AS MUCH FUN AS YOU CAN!
It’s summertime and the living is easy… at least for the kids! This summer break we have planned many amazing things to do with your children. Here are ten things that your child can look forward to doing while they are with us this summer; visiting various community groups and clubs, trips to places such as the firehall and library, partying in our PJ’s, travelling to different vacation destinations, splashing and having fun in the sun on our water days, enjoying many special snack and lunch days, making and meeting new friends, having the opportunity to showcase hidden talents, learning all about different sports, and of course having downtime to experience new games and activities.