Personal information is any information and that can be used to identify, distinguish or contact a specific individual. Personal information can include facts about, or related to, an individual as well as an individual’s opinions and beliefs. Personal information does not include publicly available information; for example names and addresses telephone numbers that are published in the telephone directory.
Collection and use of personal information
In carrying on business as a licensed childcare facility, we collect personal information about the children in our care, their parents/guardian’s, and their siblings, and other individuals also involved in their care and upbringing (the children in our care and their families). We respect the privacy of all of our children and families. We collect and use personal information for the following purposes:
- To identify the children in our care and their families
- To establish and maintain responsible relationships with the children in our care and their families
- To understand, developed and/or enhance the needs, desires and concerns of our families
- To provide the services expected of a licensed child care facility to the children in our care and their families, as required under the Day Nursery Act
- To manage and develop our program
- To meet the legal and regulatory requirements
Disclosure of personal in information
We will make sure that any disclosure of personal information is made on a “ need to know” basis and where applicable on a confidential basis. We will make sure that the information is used only for the purpose for which it was disclosed.
We may disclose individual personal information to our employees, therapists and work experience students.
- To provide (or assist us in providing), for the physical, social and/or intellectual well being and safety of the children in our care
- To assist us in our general administration and operations of the child care facility
- To assist us in providing service to the children in our care and their families
- To a third party where that individual, parent/legal guardian has consented to such a disclosure
- To a third party where such a disclosure is required or permitted by law
In order to protect personal information, we will:
- Not collect, use or disclose an individual’s personal information for any purpose other than those identified, except with a further consent of that individual
- Protect personal information with security safeguards that are appropriate to the sensitivity of the information
- Protect the confidentiality of personal information when dealing with other organizations
- Use reasonable efforts to keep personal information as accurate and up-to-date as is necessary for the purpose for which it is to be used and/or disclosed
- Respond to any request that an adult / individual may make for access to personal information regarding him/her or his/her children
- Consent to collect, use or disclose your personal information may be withdrawn at any time, subject to legal or contractual restrictions and reasonable notice